My lovely friend Marese of Marese’s Pieces (check her out here ) has very kindly nominated me for a Liebster Award. This is an award for bloggers with less than 200 followers, and basically a tool for bloggers to spread the word about each others sites and discover new blogs in the process.
Now, I think my followers come to a grand total of 3, so it’s safe to say I’m in desperate need of a helping hand from fellow bloggers like Marese. To be honest, I didn’t set this blog up with a view to attracting followers and I do very little promoting of it on social media, mainly because I’m a bit of a coward.
I set up An Béal Mór to host the odd set of photos, article, video or rant as the mood strikes me. Posting has been at best sporadic and not usually on a coherent theme so I can hardly blame the good folk of Tumblr for not bothering to follow me. However, reading Marese’s blog and some of the other blogs she nominated has inspired me to make more of an effort to write about my life on here.
So without further ado, here are the rules:
11 Facts about me:
1. I was born in Stanford University Hospital, California. This fact leads many of my friends to refer to me as a "Yank" despite the fact that I grew up in Ireland and I along with my entire family hail from Kilkenny in the not so sunny South East.
2. I adore food. My favourite dish is Pasta Alla Norma, but I’ll settle for anything Italian.
3. I love photography. I may sort of do it for a living but I still have a LOT to learn about it.
4. I have a younger brother called Pierre. My parents just couldn’t settle for calling us Mary and John, they had to be different.
5. I’m not a girly girl, but I’m not a tomboy either. I like to think of myself as straddling those two clichés.
6. I love to run, but what I really love is martial arts. I have a Yellow Belt in Krav Maga, but my plan to be just like Chuck Norris is stalled at the moment because my KM gym was sadly shut down. I’m on the lookout for a new one, however.
7. I love music, but I can’t settle on any one kind of music. I love every type of music (with a few exceptions) and a glance at my music collection and playlists would lead anyone to believe I have multiple personalities. If I had to pick one genre though, gun to my head, it would be blues.
8. I’m a complete bookworm.
9. I can’t.stop.talking.
10. I originally wanted to be a vet, but changed my mind when I realised I wouldn’t have the heart to put animals down day in, day out. So I became a journalist instead.
11. I’ve been writing short stories and living in a world of my own since I was a child.
Next up, here are the 11 blogs I nominate for a Liebster Award:
Now, for Marese’s 11 nosy questions:
1. What made you decide to start writing a blog?
I had stopped writing in any creative way or even writing just for the pleasure of it, as the job and the social life slowly took over. I decided setting up a blog would give me a place to put anything I might want to write, and hoped it would give me a push to do a bit more writing!
2. Facebook/Twitter – share your link!
3. If you met your idol, who would they be and what 1 question would you ask them?
My idol of the moment is Sheryl Sandberg. I’d ask her how to know what risks to take, both in life and in your career.
4. If you could give your younger self advice, what would it be?
Try to spend at least ten minutes of each day NOT daydreaming. Also, exercise more, and don’t be afraid to try new things.
5. What’s the first thing you do in the morning?
Check my email.
6. Do you have any regrets?
Tons. Nothing life changing though, thankfully. Mainly I regret spending too much time regretting.
7. If you could live off one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
8. I believe everyone is either a cat/dog/horse person. Which would you choose (or would you choose another animal?) and why?
That’s difficult for me, because I always thought I was a cat person until I got my dogs. Now I can only think of myself as both a cat and a dog person. Is that cheating? Ah well. The only animal there I can rule out is horses. I enjoy horse riding but I’m a complete beginner and still a little afraid of them.
9. Where is the best place you’ve ever visited?
Paris. I know, original!
10. Reading/Writing – which do you prefer?
It’s hard to say - I love both! I love writing and find it very therapeutic, but I’d probably have to go with reading.
11. What 3 things would you like to do in the next 10 years?
- Get a Master’s degree (don’t ask me in what, I’m still deciding!)
- Travel to at least 2 new continents (the current plan is South America and South East Asia)
- Learn to drive
This was fun! Thanks very much for nominating me Marese, and I hope the blogs I nominated enjoy filling out these 11 nosy questions:
1. What inspires you to write a blog post?
2. How often do you blog?
3. Explain the name of your blog.
4. What’s your pet hate on the internet? (it can be anything from abusive comments to spelling errors in tweets, etc)
5. What (if any) New Year’s Resolutions did you make this year?
6. Would you rather a) A brand new car or b) An all-expenses paid trip to a place of your choice?
7. Can you cook? If so, what is your go-to dish to impress guests?
8. Name three things you love about Ireland.
9. What’s the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you in the last year?
10. Tell me about the last time a book, or a piece of music (song, album, etc) changed your life.
11. What is your favourite (non blog) website?